Table of Contents
- Dr. Pillai Global Academy Language Philosophy
- Basic beliefs about language
- Language profile
- Language policy – an overview
- Dr. Pillai Global Academy Language Policy
- Effective implementation of the language policy
- Language courses offered at Dr. Pillai Global Academy
- Roles and responsibilities for implementation of the language policy
9.1 Senior Administration
9.5 Other Administrative Staff Members
- Reviewing the language policy
- APPENDIX A
– ELS syllabus for grades 1-10
- APPENDIX B
– Annexure: Survey for creating language profile
Dr. Pillai Global Academy Language Philosophy
Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel believes that language is central to learning. Our Language Programme.
- Is enquiry based and leads to authentic learning of the language which is a continuum along which each individual student progresses at his / her own speed
- Believes in developing a second language and ensuring that the student achieves proficiency in his BEST Language
- Allows opportunities for interdisciplinary learning, facilitates higher studies and thus enable the students to become dynamic global citizens
Thus language learning at Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel is in sync with its mission of providing “holistic education based on new generation academics” that create “powerful global career options for our students,” and also empower them to “become key contributors to the community and environment in which they live.
Basic Belifes About Language:
Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel’s School Language Philosophy has evolved out of the beliefs about languages and how they are learned, relevant to the student population under its care.
- Students seeking admission at Dr. Pillai Global Academy generally come from English Medium S.S.C, C.B.S.E, I.C.S.E, IB or I.G.C.S.E schools. English is therefore the language in which the students are expected to read, write and speak fluently. Dr. Pillai Global Academy has thererfore adopted English as a medium of instruction and students are helped to become stronger in English. Hindi is the national language of India and is taught as the second language in most schools in Mumbai. Dr Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel promotes the learning of the national language.
- Mother tongues vary widely for the students who take admission as they belong to various regions of India. The school supports the learning of Marathi, the local language which is the mother tongue of many of our students, by providing an opportunity to opt for it as a third language for the students from Grades 4-8.
- Students vary in their ability to learn an additional language; some may achieve functional proficiency in the target language while others will become truly bilingual. Dr. Pillai Global Academy therefore accepts this variation and its language programs are woven around it.
As a result of the global population becoming more mobile, an increasing number of learners have rich and complex multilingual backgrounds. The language profile of a learner may demonstrate two or more languages at various stages of development in his or her learning continuum. Many learners are learning through a language that is not their mother tongue. These learners are potentially able to become “balanced bilinguals” who are highly proficient, literate and knowledgeable in two or more languages. This language diversity develops internationally minded and interculturally developed people.
Students at Dr. Pillai Global Academy who come from the cosmopolitan background of Mumbai speak many different languages. They may be bilingual or even multilingual depending on the languages they speak at home apart from the languages they acquire at school viz. English, Hindi and Marathi or French.
Language Policy – An Overview:
The reviewed version of Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel’s Language Policy came into effect from the academic year 2013 and it will be reviewed annually.
- The language policy is comprehensive and school-wide.
- It includes twin goals of mastering a high-quality academic curriculum and acquiring English language proficiency for all students.
- The policy is fostered chiefly through professional training and understanding of relevant additional language acquisition research.
- Further development of the practices and procedures relating to the language policy is an ongoing school priority as information is gathered and practices are implemented.
- The language policy helps Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel, and staff with the delivery of exemplary instruction and assessment.
- Our integrated curriculum focuses on what we want Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel students to know, what we want our students to be able to do, and what evidence will be collected to document the learning our students achieve.
- An appropriate level of English language proficiency in both basic interpersonal communication skills and cognitive academic language proficiency is the linguistic goal of the curriculum.
- Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel, students experience an enriched, language-immersion education in which English is the primary language of instruction and social interaction.
- It is recognised that fluency in English is at least partly dependent upon the amount of time and the variety of situations faculty, staff, and administration will use English on campus, as the primary language of communication, including social interaction. Therefore Dr. Pillai Global Academy will actively promote and encourage English as the primary language of all communications.
Dr. Pillai Global Academy Languague Policy
- Language is central to learning; all teachers are in practice language teachers with responsibility of facilitating communication.
- The language of instruction in Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel, is English.
- English is the first / best language of Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel.
- An outline of languages learnt in Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel is explained in the language programmes section given below.
(“The languages in which the organization communicates with its stakeholders and in which it is committed to providing a range of services for the implementation of the programmes.”)
The Working Language for the Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel will be English. The entire administration work (forms, documents, report card, and communication with parents), reporting (IBO, Parents, and Society) and interaction with stake holders (students, school management, parents, and teachers) will be in English. The official website of the school and all promotional material will be in English.
(“Languages in which the organisation will provide selected services and documentation, mainly to support teachers, as specified in this policy.”)
Communication with and amongst teachers in Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel will be in English. All documentation will also be in English.The Access language for Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel will be English.
Internal Working Language:-
- English is the organisation’s internal working language, in which most operational and development activities take place. It is also the language of its governance, management and academic committee.
- The internal working language for Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel will be English.
- In order to cater to the local needs and to ensure clear communication, the local language Marathi and the national language Hindi will be used to communicate with parents. This is only if the need arises and purely with the intension of making them feel comfortable and aid effective communication. The school helpers will be addressed in Hindi or Marathi as this is the language they are fluent in.
Effective Implementation of the Language Policy:-
A pre-requisite for implementation is availability of the necessary teaching skills with the school:
Professional development for language teaching:-
To ensure that the language policy gets implemented in letter and spirit Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel ensures that:
Regular in-service Training Courses
Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel invests in its teachers through regular in-service training courses. It is part of our training policy that each member of the staff achieves a standard of written and spoken English commensurate with the services and expectations of a premier international school.
Creative Writing / Language development Workshops:
The teachers participate in Creative Writing / Language Development Workshops conducted in school which provide them with opportunities to interact and learn effective, accurate use of English language. The experience is rich and rewarding.
Students enrolling in Dr. Pillai Global Academy have varied backgrounds. They range from coming directly from bilingual Primary School programmes to entering Secondary school with no second language experience. All these students will be accommodated and their language ability will be developed to their highest potential.
Language courses offered at Dr. Pillai Global Academy
|CIPP Grades 1-5||Check Point Grades 6-8||IGCSE Grades 9, 10||A Level Grades 11, 12||IBDP Grades 11, 12|
|English||English||First Language English||English Language||English Literature A ( HL/SL)|
|Hindi||Hindi||English as a Second Language||English Literature||Hindi B (Group2) SL, HL|
|Marathi||Marathi||Hindi||Hindi||French - Ab initio (Group2)|
Mother Tongue Support:
At Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel we do not offer any additional mother tongue support for languages not being taught at the primary level, (Marathi, Hindi are taught in the primary and secondary levels)
Additional Language Support:
The Second Language – Hindi is promoted.
- Hindi is a compulsory language in the primary and secondary levels of the school.
- Hindi is offered as a second language along with French ab initio in the Group 2 languages of the DP.
- The language laboratory, library and the Hindi teacher provide assistance to students who wish to improve their language.
- The school helpers and assistants communicate with the students and the staff of the school in Hindi, thus developing fluency in Hindi.
First Language Support:
We at Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel do recognize that students enter the school with different degrees of proficiency in English. We have devised mechanisms to assist the weaker students and bring them to the same level before they commence with the English programmes offered at school.
The state of the art recording room and audio visual facilities provided in each class along with the smart classroom suite, enable dynamic language learning, contributing to development of the skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing and in encouraging media literacy. The facilities provided at Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel aim to correct pronunciation, accents and grammar, and improve fluency in reading and voice modulation. Exercises in the recording room involve analysis and working on pieces of text and stanzas of poetry as well. These facilities provide support for learning all the languages spoken / taught in the school. (English, Hindi, Marathi, French) Language
Language Support Programme (Remedial Teaching):
- The English teacher will identify weak students and guide and counsel them.
- She will address their problems individually and conduct remedial classes to ensure that they improve.
- She will assess each student’s progression in reading, writing and oral language to make sure that developmental linguistic progress is being made.
- The student’s academic progression will be assessed through tests, student work, projects, portfolios and collaborative examinations.
- The results of the assessment procedure will be used to decide whether a student is ready to exit the language support programme.
- The parents will be informed of the child’s English-language proficiency on an ongoing basis.
Literary Club & Dramatic Club:
Students are encouraged to join the Literary Club. The objective of this club is to set up exercises and activities such as debates, quizzes, elocution and activities based on literary reviews that improve English language skills.
The Dramatic Club boosts the confidence of students and encourages effective communication by training in varied skills including voice modulation, pronunciation, intonation etc. in all the languages the school teaches.
Library / Media Centre Support:
- The library / media centre is kept up to date with resources catering to all languages spoken in the class.
- The library ensures that the students spend several hours in focused reading.
- The students will prepare and discuss book reviews in their language classes and during library periods to improve reading, comprehension and presentation skills.
School Activities and Competitions
Activities and competitions including recitation, elocution, extempore speech, debating, spell bee, essay writing and producing the school magazine encourage effective and accurate spoken and written expression amongst students.
Roles and Responsibilities for Implementation of the Language Policy:
Effective implementation of the Language Policy requires the collaboration between of all stakeholders of the school community. The primary task is to make sure that each of the stakeholders appreciates the role assigned to him.
Role of Senior Administration:-
- Use English as the primary language of communication.
- Ensure that policies and procedures regarding the language acquisition are developed and implemented and are regularly reviewed.
- Provide funding, facilities, leadership and resources for the successful implementation of the language policy.
- Attract and retain highly qualified and experienced teachers.
- Ensure that the planning, delivery and evaluation of effective professional development meets the unique requirements of the Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel faculty in relation to the Language Policy.
Role of Administrators:-
- Use English as the primary language of communication.
- Provide academic leadership for the school.
- Share responsibility for oversight, implementation and revision of the Language Policy and curriculum efforts.
- Support teachers in their delivery of instructions.
- Provide a variety of professional development opportunities to better enable teachers to be effective instructors of students with a range of language proficiencies.
- Promote an embedded professional development model enabling collaboration concerning curriculum, instructional techniques, assessment and student progress.
- Observe teachers and provide constructive feedback, materials, planning time and staff development opportunities.
- Promote communication with parents concerning students’ language development.
- Promote an extra-curricular programme that encourages the use and development of English.
Role of Specialists:-
Specialists have knowledge of language and second language development, culture, grade-level subject matter, instructional resources and assessment tools.
The following goals set out the range of activities that the specialists undertake:-
- Use English as the primary language of communication.
- Work with administrators and faculty to enhance the effectiveness of the language programmes offered at school.
- Support professional development in the practices of language across the curriculum and organise training sessions for the purpose.
- Nurture the articulation of thematically-integrated, language programme curricula.
- Promote effective language teaching and assessment practices.
- Communicate with parents regarding language issues and the school’s language programme.
However, responsibilities for language-immersion and language development do not rest exclusively with the specialists but rather are shared with other faculty members and parents.
Role of Faculty:-
Since learning and language are inextricably bound, every teacher is both a content teacher and a language teacher. The faculty is expected to:-
- Use English as the primary language of instruction and social interaction in and out of the classroom.
- Acquire a professional knowledge base in second language acquisition processes, students’ developmental language behaviours and familiarity with students’ language learning cognitive style.
- Integrate language instruction with content instruction.
- Make high level academic content instructionally comprehensible.
- Create classroom environments that are discourse-rich and processoriented (plentiful opportunities for students to listen to, read, speak and write through interactive activities.)
- Support and assess language self-assessment.
- Give ongoing feedback to students on their linguistic and cognitive development by using a variety of balanced assessment strategies.
- Hold high linguistic and academic expectations for all students.
- Building a strong home-school partnership using various means of communication.
- Emulate dispositions for life in an international world (i.e. tolerance for ambiguity, empathy, flexibility, respect for others’ languages and cultures.)
- Work collaboratively to develop culturally inclusive and developmentally appropriate curriculum and teaching strategies.
- Integrate appropriate technology that enhances language development.
- Select resources that are linguistically accessible and culturally inclusive.
- Teach English Language skills for social interaction.
Role of the other Administrative Staff Members:-
The administrative staff members play an important role in reinforcing the use of English on campus. They are expected to:-
- Use English as the primary language of communication.
- Facilitate communication with parents, visitors and contracted staff.
- Facilitate communication with students who are ‘beginner English speakers’.
Role of Parents:-
A number of parental actions will facilitate linguistic and academic success for students. Families are encouraged to:-
- Have a positive attitude towards both English and Home language.
- Promote the advantages of learning other languages and supply multilingual material at home.
- Maintain mother tongue literacy skills at home.
- Encourage and support their children’s additional language acquisition.
- Communicate with other parents to exchange ideas and reduce isolation.
- Support the expectation that students use English as the language of learning and social interaction on campus.
- To be knowledgeable about language-immersion in order to support the school’s efforts.
- Have realistic expectations of their children and Dr. Pillai Global Academy and be prepared to make the long term commitments that success requires
Role of Students:-
English is the primary language of instruction and social interaction at Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel, which means that students learn and communicate in English. English is recognized as the language of inclusion on campus and therefore students are expected to use English both in and out of the classroom to:-
- Acquire information by listening to oral presentations, interpreting print and graphic material and the observation and recording of practical experiences.
- Convey information by telling stories and explaining ideas. Think logically through inference, hypothesis, analysis and evaluation.
- Work creatively by using ideas and materials inventively and accomplish practical tasks either individually or by collaborating in small groups.
- Make decisions by identifying alternatives, evaluating evidence and determining appropriate actions.
- Develop fluency in English for all forms of communication.
Reviewing the Language Policy:
Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel has adopted this language policy and will work with the IBO which is committed through its access agenda to reach students, from a variety of cultural, linguistic and social backgrounds.
The purpose of this language policy is to provide a framework that will ensure that both Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel and the IBO’s values and aims in relation to access and multilingualism are reflected in the organisation’s activities.
The management team of Dr. Pillai Global Academy, New Panvel will review the School Language Policy annually to confirm that it is relevant and aligned to the above purpose. Any modifications to this policy document will be brought about post this review.